Wednesday 25 March 2015

LED Street lighting

I found recently on eBay someone selling 1:500 scale LED street lighting. It was direct from China so the price was super cheap. I thought I'd order some, well 30 of them, only £15 with free P+P!!! They arrived today and I have now installed 13 of them so far and I have to say I am very impressed. The only issues were that the angle of the street lights needed a bit of adjustment and they needed painting as the lamp covers are made of copper and it would look a bit weird leaving them as is. They run on 3v, so I nipped into poindland to grab whatever item used 2 AA or AAA batteries and nabbed it to get the battery housing out of it. Would've gone to Maplin but it was cheaper to walk to poundland than go all the way to Maplin just for a battery holder. After lots of soldering, its now done. Maybe at some point I'll work out how to hook it up to the USB 5v power supply already in the case and add a switch to it and maybe a variable power knob to make them a bit dimmer.

The lights as they come. Much closer to 1:400 scale than the 1:500 scale they're supposed to be.

Lights painted grey




Maybe they need dimming for exhibitions as they're not very photogenic at the moment

No comments:

Post a Comment